When Jesus told Martha that only one thing was needed in her life, the context of the verse clearly points to a spiritual call. The Better Part that Mary discovered was to be found not on the table, but at his feet. How easy it is to confuse duty with devotion; the common with communion. That was Martha's downfall, and it can be mine as well. For in her effort to set a table worthy of the Son of God, she nearly missed the real banquet. "Only one thing is needed"--and that is found in true fellowship with him. For he, after all, is the Bread of Life, the Living Water, the only "dish" we need. He wants to change our hearts and empower our lives. He wants us to find the great freedom of Luke 10:42. I cannot do everything, but I can do "one thing." I cannot meet every need, but I can respond in obedience to the need the Spirit lays on my heart. I cannot carry every load, but I can carry the load God has for me. For his yoke, indeed, is easy, and his burden is truly light. (From: "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World")
If we can manage to do a million things during the course of just one of our days, then why is it so difficult for us to do that "one thing"? We make time for a phone call, to wash or dry that load of clothes, watch that program on TV, and the list goes on. How much time do we spend just "sitting at his feet"? For me the answer is not enough. I am however working to correct that-it may mean getting up a little earlier before the craziness of the day begins. My day may be a little better, I'll let you know. God Bless!
10 years ago
1 comments:
I am so happy to read your blog, I can definitely relate. I did not know that you were on here.
Post a Comment