CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Joy In The Kitchen

What a goal! To be so in tune with the presence of God that washing dishes becomes an act of worship. That the moments of our lives, no matter how mundane, become aflame with the divine. When Jesus rebuked Martha, remember, he wasn't rebuking her act. He was rebuking her attitude. "He blamed Martha, not for her attentive service of love," author Charles Grierson says, "but the allowing that service to irritate, agitate, and absorb her." Service without spirituality is exhausting and hopeless. But in the same respect, spirituality without service is barren and selfish. We need to unite the two and so it all "as unto the Lord." When we do that, something wonderful happens to our work in the Kitchen. Sinks turn into sanctuaries. Mops swab holy ground. And daily chores that used to bore us or wear us down become opportunities to express our gratitude-selfless avenues for his grace. (From: "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World")

Oh yes, this one hit me in the heart this morning. My husband Bob takes several different medications and has a really bad habit of sitting the empty (no, lets not give notice that your out) bottle on the kitchen counter for me (no, he doesn't know how to use the phone or find his way to the pharmacy to pick it up). I sometimes feel like any day now Rite Aid will ask me - sweetie, why don't you call these in at one time instead of coming by here every other day? Well, I have allowed this service to irritate, agitate, and absorb me! I am human, and thank God he loves me regardless of those feelings. I will be picking up that Rx out of love this afternoon and not out of a sense of duty. Hey, I'm growing and learning everyday - I will not give up on that!
Have a Blessed day!

3 comments:

Putz said...

i don't consider the savior's words a REBUKE TO martha, i think he was actually pleased with both of his friends, i believe there were many times in MARTHA'S life that she was exactly like mary, loving the savior in a deep emotional way, and many times mary dropped everything to serve another in a very real and materialistic way

Anonymous said...

This hit me smack between the eyes. It was exactly what I needed this week. You just seem to have a way of writing that speaks right to my heart!

Thank you,

Krista

Life on the farm... said...

yes that's it, all about the attitude! I would have done the same thing banging on them pots and pans how dare Mary not help me! I would have thrown flour on my face walked in there and got ahold of ole' Mary!