CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 11, 2008

Making Room For The Savior

While other people may struggle with worldly temptations, my struggle has always been in the area of spiritual disciplines. My devotional life has been haphazard at best. Because I hadn't developed the habit of a quiet time as a child, when the busyness of adulthood came, I found it difficult to find time alone with the Lord. It has taken me nearly twenty years to come to this discipline, and even then, it has been a gift of grace, not an accomplishment of my own making. My spirit began to grow and thrive as the soil of my heart was tilled deep and fed by the Word of God. But then my Martha-like perfectionist tendencies kicked in, causing me to approach my devotional time as another duty to perform. Suddenly my eyes were open to what true devotion is. It is not a duty. It is a delight. It is not an exercise in piety. It is a privilege. And it is not so much a visit as it is a homecoming. What an amazing thought-that Christ wants to spend quality time with me. That he looks forward to our time together and misses me when I don't show up. Once that message started sinking into my heart, I started looking at my devotional time in a whole new way-not as a ritual, but as a relationship. And a relationship doesn't just happen. It has to be nurtured, protected, and loved. (From "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World")

3 comments:

Life on the farm... said...

You are so right... I am a Martha too, everything has to be done first...but I always became angered whenever we had a Bible lesson on Mary and Martha and how Martha was bashed. Because when I have company or whatever I always want the very best for the guest, and I spend all my time preparing and cleaning, and more cleaning, I'm just to tired by the time I'm done. But guest don't care, just like Jesus doesn't care about the preparations. That's a hard habit to break!

Reva said...

I used to be a Martha and same as lifeisonthefarm, I was always tired and couldn't truly enjoy the visit after that. Now, with my medical problems, I just can't do what I used to and I have had to learn (it's not easy either) to look at things around the house (like dust) and just say..oh well. Guess what, I still worry about the mess but I'm more able to focus on and enjoy my family and friends because they are what it's all about anyway. Thanks for the reminder.
Also, thanks for the prayer for my son and thanks for visiting my site. I am adding you to my blogger friend list.

Anonymous said...

You were 'speaking' right to my heart. This past weekend, I finally made a commitmetn to giving more time one on one with mny Heavenly Father. Thank you for this post!!