CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Balancing Teetertotters

I wonder if God had teetertootters in mind when he placed Luke's story of Mary and Martha between two famous passages: the story of the Good Samaritan and Christ's teaching on the Lord's Prayer. One deals with our relationship with people. The other deals with our relationship with God. One teaches us how to serve. The other teaches us how to pray. One breaks down the wall that divides cultures. The other breaks down the wall that divides God and humanity. Perhaps that is why this tiny section of Scripture we first looked at is so important. I have to admit I struggle to keep that balance. We hosted a church banquet just a few months ago, and I found myself in the kitchen rather than in the worship service. Jesus had showed up in our midst, and I had been so busy washing dishes, I'd missed the opportunity to sit at his feet. I'd totally forgotten everything I'd been learning about balancing work and worship. Ouch. Bumpsies again! (From:Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World)

3 comments:

Life on the farm... said...

hmmm.. someone has to stay in the kitchen and feed the natives they get restless.... this Sunday I will be in the kitchen too. We were asked to go pick up the chicken for the church wide lunch!!! hmmmm

Shell in your Pocket said...

I do that often...it is hard to balance sitting at the feet and "serving"!
-Sandy toes

Putz said...

i think god maniniplulates the mary martha thing, and makes it good for you..so balancing becaomes easy because you don't have to worry about it