Today is my daddy's birthday. I am so very blessed to still have him. So many of my friends have lost one or both parents. He has been through so much over the last two years. Dementia is not a friend to anyone, although, it just may have saved his life and my sanity. You see, before he became so ill he was an alcoholic. It was a constant pain in my heart. The worry, fear, and not knowing what to do. Well, I personally believe the answer to my prayers came with his diagnosis. It has been a journey, going through some very bumpy roads. When I think about how sick he was mentally as well as physically it is a blessing that only God could have done to get him to where he is now. Home from a nursing home and well enough right now to even stay by himself during the day. I know the day may come that he can't however, why dwell on the bad when we are so blessed with good today? Since all he has been through he is now a different man. He gave up drinking, driving, and all the other things that I was so afraid would end very badly. He and my mom go out to eat and enjoy things in a way they couldn't before. I'm not sure he completely understands that today is his special day. I just know that I do and am very grateful for each Saturday with him. He loves seeing Kaylin and Eli and I love the fact that they enjoy those visits and knowing him. He was always such a wonderful Papa to Kerrie. From the day she was born he loved her and spoiled her rotten. She spent every weekend with them at the lake. Kids have always loved him and he treated each child like they were his own. He has always been there for me and it's an honor to be here for him now. His name is Billy Carey. I just changed the spelling for a girl and that's where Kerrie got her name. I love you daddy! Happy Birthday!
10 years ago
4 comments:
Aw!! Happy birthday to him!!
thank you for this profile, i have lost my dad and mom, of course i am 17 years older than you alos so that isn't such a tradjedy, just thinkin how all being children of god makes everyday special
p.s daughter looks just like you
My dad will turn 77 this year and is still very active. They go on at least one or two cross country trips a year and also works at home outside and in his garage. I am also very lucky to have such a talented and supportive dad. He has been with me through all of my major setbacks and health issues throughout my life.
Thanks for sharing your dad with us.
Post a Comment